What is ORCID iD?
ORCID iD is a unique identifier for individuals to use in their research, scholarship, and innovation activities. ORCID provides an unambiguous, transparent system for linking individuals to their research activities and outputs. ORCID iDs are an important element of managing research profiles. Learn more
Why use an ORCID iD?
How to Create and Manage an ORCID iD?
What does it do?
Using the institutional login, McMaster members can log in to their ORCID iD account using their standard MAC ID and password. This removes the burden of remembering an additional set of login credentials (though the ORCID credentials will continue to work). This page will go over the first time institutional login setup and signing in with your MACID after the setup.
Institutional Login First-Time Setup
1. Navigate to the ORCID sign in page (https://orcid.org/signin)
2. Select to log into an Institutional account. Enter and select McMaster University. Click Continue.
3. You will be redirected to a MAC ID Login page. Enter your standard MAC ID and password, and click Login.
5. You will be prompted to log into your ORCID iD account, in order to finish linking the accounts. Enter your ORCID iD (or the email address affiliated with the account) and your ORCID password. [Reset your password, if required and repeat the process].
Click Sign into ORCID.
6. If you’ve successfully logged into ORCID, the process was successful--your may not log into ORCID using the Institutional login and your MAC ID.
Logging Into ORCID With Your MAC ID
1. Ensure that you’ve followed the instructions in the previous section to enable institutional login.
2. Navigate to the ORCID Sign in page (https://orcid.org/signin)
3. Select to log into an Institutional account. Enter and select McMaster University. Click Continue.
4. You will be redirected to a MAC ID Login page. Enter your standard MAC ID and password, and click Login.
6. If you’ve successfully logged into ORCID, the process was successful.
What does it do?
Anyone with a McMaster Experts profile can connect their ORCID account with their Experts profile through the McMaster Research Profile Manager. Connecting these two profiles allows information to be shared between the two systems; this helps to keep both profiles synced and reduces duplication of effort.
There are a number of ways in which these two profiles can be connected; the profile owner has control over how their information is shared.
Profile owners can enable any or all of the following features:
* Adding or claiming an ORCID iD within the Profile Manager, which improves automatic publication claiming in Experts.
* Enabling ORCID read access, which helps populate an Experts profile with publication records already claimed in an ORCID profile.
* NEW! Enabling ORCID write access, which sends publication records from an Experts profile to an ORCID profile.
The following sections demonstrate how to enable each of these connections:
Adding an ORCID iD to your profile
Navigate to your publishing identities page on the McMaster Research Profile Manager (> Menu > My Account > Automatic claiming). Enter your MAC ID credentials to log in, if prompted.
Authorizing ORCID iD to connect to your profile
Enabling read & write integration with an ORCID profile
To enable and configure read and/or write integration between Experts and ORCID profiles:
Users have three choices when defining how the McMaster Research Profile Manager interacts with their connected ORCID iD profile:
If a user opts to enable option 1 they will have a number of options to define which publications are sent to ORCID.
No Selection: All publications (except for those with private relationships) will be sent
Note: Publications with private relationships will not be sent to a user’s ORCID account. However, if a different user has a relationship with the same publication it can still be sent to that user’s ORCID account and appear publicly.
Users can manage their publications with private relationships and favourite publications by clicking the ‘Review these publications’ link. This will show their publications, filtered to either publications with private links or favourite publications respectively.
Removing publications from ORCID
Users have the option of removing all the publications they have sent to ORCID from their Experts account. This is achieved by navigating to Menu > ORCID Settings then scrolling to the bottom and selecting the ‘Remove from ORCID’ link
Following deletion, the Experts-ORCID integration settings will be reset to ‘Only use my ORCID to support automatic claiming’.