1. Preview: See what you can learn about a text before reading it.
2. Contextualize: Situate a text in its historical, biographical and cultural contexts.
3. Question: Ask questions about the text in order to understand it.
4. Reflect: Consider whether this text challenged any of your preexisting beliefs.
5. Summarize: Outline and identify main ideas in your own words.
6. Evaluate: Assess the credibility and logic of the text.
7. Compare:Consider similarities and differences between this text and others.
(adapted from: http://www.salisbury.edu/counseling/new/7_critical_reading